Saturday 13 February 2016

Story: "Someone"

Written By: WrittenDusk                                                                                                                             

On a normal everyday evening, under the clear spring sky, a young salaryman in his mid-twenties makes his way up a slope within the city. Dressed in a simple suit and tie, with a briefcase in his right, he struggles with his climb up the slope.


Salaryman: Argh. This damn slope is getting harder to climb everyday. I swear it must be growing, or something. Huff, huff. I don't remember it being this steep when I first moved here.


The salaryman takes a break holding his knees, halfway up the slope. People looks at him weirdly as they breeze past him walking up the slope. After a few moment he continues his climb.


Salaryman: Huff..huff..huff. Just a few more steps till the top.


He takes a step forward, but it looks as if he miss the ground and steps on air instead. His head falls straight towards the ground.


Salaryman: Huh? Why’s the ground so clo… (Thud).


The salaryman faints on the slope.

Woken up by a gentle fragrance, the salaryman slowly opens his eyes. He finds himself inside a bar like place, but with an atmosphere that is not so bar like. He looks around to figure out where he is.


The customer front is narrow, having only a row of tall stools facing a bar counter. Behind the bar counter is a bit larger and fashioned almost like a living space; especially the area right in front of him. Sitting at the rightmost stool in the store, with the main entrance right behind him, he sees an open space just beyond the counter. In there a beautiful grandfather clock stands accompanied by a, similarly styled, Victorian loveseat to its right. Looking back towards himself he finds his belongings to his right, on the counter he was sleeping on few moments ago. As he continues to make sense of where he is, he notices the light coming in.


He traces it back towards a large window behind the counter, to his right. His eyes widen in fear. It was morning. He almost jumps upon realization.


Salaryman: Oh sh..!? How did this happen? What time is it? Where is my phone?


He grabs at his suit trying to find his phone, and takes it out.


Salaryman: Please tell me I’m not late. Please.


It’s 5:30 am.


Salaryman: (Sigh)… Oh thank god.


He relaxes into the stool again and plops himself onto the counter; looking at his phone for messages.


Girl: Ah. Guh marhnhing.


A girl’s voice greets him from a room beyond the bar area. A gargling sound can be heard after the mumbled greeting. The girl walks out from a sliding door behind the bar counter; a sliding door that can be mistaken as a part of the wall.


Despite her pale, yet bright, turquoise hair she gives off a very refined and sophisticated impression. Pale skinned, slender and beautiful. Her presence adds a gentle intimidation to the room. She looks about the same age as the salaryman.


The salaryman wants to ask her about his current situation, but he can't figure out a proper way of asking.


Girl: Just in time. The tea is done. It's just simple green tea. Do you want some? It’ll help wake you up.


The girl pours two cups of tea and places a cup of tea in front of him.


Salaryman: Good morning. Thank you very much.


The salaryman takes a sip of the green tea, and feels an immediate rejuvenation; surging from inside out.


Salaryman: Ah~...


The salaryman relaxes as if he was alone.


Girl: Hehe, glad you like it.


Embarrassed the salaryman looks down at the tea and tries to laugh it off.


Girl: What's your name?


She asks as she drinks the tea from her cup and puts a pair of glass on.


Salaryman: I’m...


The salaryman stops mid-way out of instinctual curiosity. He finds it weird for her to be using glasses despite having pink eyes; which he believes are contacts.


Girl: Hmm? Oh these are just frames. I just like how I look with glasses on.


Salaryman: Oh! I’m sorry. I’m Mike. I work in the Marketing and Sales Department of “N” company. Nice to meet you.


Mike extends his hand out for a handshake.


Girl: Oh, wow! “N” company huh. I’m Ada.


Ada shakes Mike’s hand.


Ada: It must be hard working for a company that big. No wonder you collapsed.


Mike: Oh! You were the one who brought me here? I can't thank you enough. And you gave me tea as well. Thank you so much. I’m so sorry you had to do all this for me.


Ada: No, no, no. Don't be. You collapse just a few steps away. It was no big deal, really.


Mike: I’m so ashamed.


Ada: Don’t be, it happens.


Ada looks and gestures her hands around the area as if to show Mike where everything is.


Ada: This is my coffee and tea… bar? I suppose hehe! As well as my house. But don't tell others about that.


Mike nods.


Ada: I just finished renovating a few days ago. I was planning to open shop next week, but who would have thought that I’d get my first customer like this; and before my grand opening too.


Mike: I’m really sorry.


Ada: You don’t need to apologize. I actually things like this.


Mike: If only I slept properly last night.


Mike says under his breath. He couldn’t hold in his disappointment towards himself.


Ada: Is something wrong?


MIke: No it’s nothing.


Mike denies it quickly.


Ada: If you don’t want to talk about it, I won’t pry.


Mike feels it is his responsibility to give Ada an explanation, even if it the truth sounds like an excuse. For all the trouble he caused for her, this is the least he can do.


Mike: I..uh...To be honest, I’ve been suffering from a lack of sleep lately. I probably collapsed due to a lack of sleep.


Ada replies looking slightly surprised by the sudden honesty.


Ada: Well overtime can’t be helped.


Mike: That’s.. part if it…


Mike adverts his eyes while covering his head with one hand; as if trying to hide. He looks around avoiding eye contact with Ada. Ada smiles.


Ada: Mm hm... (Sips her tea).


Ada notices Mike’s empty cup and offers him a refill.


Ada: Let me get you another cup.


Mike: Oh. Thanks.


While refilling Mike’s tea cup.


Ada: Is it because of your girlfriend?


Mike’s face grows red.


Mike: NO! No, It’s not. I live by myself. She isn’t like that.


Ada: Eh~? Then I suppose maybe games then?


Ada says while handing him his new cup of tea.


Mike: Amongst other things. Thank you.


Mike looks at his reflection in his tea.


Mike: I’d like to think that it's more complicated than it really is, but that’s just trying to make excuses.


Ada: I don’t mind listening to excuses.


Mike: Huh?


Ada: Oh, only if you don't mind that is. I just thought maybe I could help.


Mike: No, I don't mind at all. I’m just surprised that someone is willing to listen.


Mike looks at the almost serene grandfather clock and begins thinking.


The time is 5:58 am.


Mike: I believe it started about a year ago when the company started the “D” campaign.


Ada: Oh! I remember that one. It was everywhere I go.


Mike: Yeah. Naturally the sales and marketing department had to an unbelievable amount of work to achieve that; and even more to maintain the momentum. Overtime practically became a part of my daily routine since the conceptualization stage.


Mike takes a sip out of his cup of tea while Ada is preparing some sandwiches for breakfast.


Mike: At first it wasn’t any different from any other overtime. I work. Get tired. Go home. Sleep. And repeat. But then I started to feel an odd kind of stress and frustration. I’m not sure when it started; maybe it was around two months into the project? I was fed up with how all I did was company work. Work that wasn’t really for myself, if you get what I mean.


Ada: Yeah. It feels like a waste of time, right? Especially when it’s right in between two pay days.


Mike: Exactly. So I decided that, even as tired as I was, I would do something to reward myself for a long day’s work. I went home that day and started a game I bought awhile ago, but didn’t get around to playing. I binged a bit and played until three in the morning that day. And it felt amazing, hehe.


Ada: I’m sure it did.


Ada places a plate with two ham sandwiches in front of them and takes one for herself.


Mike: I was a bit more tired at work that day, but I felt refreshed. So I decided to do it again. And again. And again.


Ada: Hehehe! I would have done the same.


Mike: Hehe. Yeah, I know right? But as one would expect things began to get worse from there. I started to do more things for myself. Entertainment, hobbies, academics. You name it. My nights became longer and longer.


Ada: It became a habit.


Mike: Yeah. This habit continued even after the campaign ended. At first I thought that I wouldn’t need that extra time for myself anymore. But it’s extra time. Compared to how it was before the campaign where my concept of a day was “work time”, “my time”, and “sleep time”; a day to me right now is “work time”, “my time”, “extra time”, and maybe some sleep. With so much time now I generally run out of things I really want to do before my “extra time”, but even then I won’t go to sleep. Within a week my biological clock flipped. Now I can’t sleep even if I wanted to. I just find random stuff to pass time with while rolling in bed.


Ada: Ough...


Ada makes a painful expression while she finishes her sandwich.


Mike: I’ve been pulling through these days with energy drinks at work, but I’m slowly becoming immune. Yesterday was the first time I really messed up; luckily. Once again I can’t thank you enough.


Mike slightly bows out of gratitude.


Ada: Like I said it’s ok. Do you feel better getting it off your chest?


Ada slightly embarrassed by such a sincere gesture.


Mike: Yes. A lot better.


Ada: It seems like you already know what you need to do to solve this problem, but you can’t persuade yourself to solve this problem.


Mike: Yeah…


Ada: It feels like a shame. A waste of sorts.


MIke: Exactly. I’ve been attempting to fix this for two weeks already. Forcing myself to go to bed early, stopping myself from doing other things. Bringing my girlfriend over to keep me in check. But I just can’t stop myself. I’ll think of the things I haven’t done, or could have done; and end up staying awake until morning, or just giving in to it. I’m afraid I’m addicted.


Ada: Pfft! Ahahahaha!


Looks up at Ada laughing despite being incredibly embarrassed by it. He was just so surprised by her response that he had to see it with his own eyes. He didn’t expect Ada would laugh like this. She gives people the impression that she is very composed; that she has been through it all and came back.


Ada: I’m so sorry. It just sounded..pfft..so funny to me. Ahahaha!


Ada clears her throat as her laughter stops.


Ada: Achem… Please don’t take it to heart.


Mike: No, I didn’t. I don’t mind at all.


Ada: It’s hard to let go of something like this. Extra time to do the things you care about. Addiction is a good way of describing it.


MIke: I’ve been trying to solve this without using sleeping pills, but maybe that’s the best choice. Well just to force a change in my sleep cycle and let things go from there.


Ada: That is a solution as long as you don’t depend on it later on. But I think you could also change up the way you perceive your time.


Mike: What do you mean?


Ada: You know how you gave the example that you have “work time” and “your time”? Why not do something to turn “work time” into  “your time”, or at least part of it. From what I understand, “your time”, is the culprit and the victim. If you can make it so that you can consider work as apart of “your time” then you would only have: “your time”, “extra time”, and “sleep time”.


Mike: I don't think that works or at least I can't think of a way to make it work.


Ada: It’s not that hard really. Especially for people like you who already have a job. It depends on what your goal is.


Mike: My goal?


Ada: For example. Do you want to make it big at your company, or do you plan to start you own thing later on? If you have a goal in mind, you have a direction to work towards.


Ada points at Mike while smiling.


Ada: Something you planned for yourself. That’s the important part.


Ada goes and brings a teapot filled with the tea they were drinking, and refills their cups. A contemporary clear glass teapot with a simple design.


Ada: Working right now could be used to bide time and money for something else in the future. For a better job, or to start a business. Or you could also work up the corporate ladder instead; and make the company work for you.


Mike: I..see.


Mike stares into space, considering what Ada said.


Ada: Though like everything, saying is much easier.


Mike: No, this helps a lot. I really appreciate this.


Ada: I'm glad you feel that way! But I'm sure you've already considered the same things.


Mike: Hehe.. I can’t say I haven’t, but it feels different having someone say it to me.


Ada: That’s good, haha.


Mike looks at the grandfather clock and notices that the time is already 6:45 am.


Mike: Oh, I have to go now.


Mike finishes the new cup of tea that Ada just poured for him.


Mike: Thank you so much for letting me take up so much of your time. Listening to me embarrass myself.


Mike takes out his wallet.


Mike: How much was the tea?


Ada: Don’t worry about it. Think of it as an exchange for your story. I’ll have you pay next time though.


Mike: Of course.


Ada: Oh ah. Do you have a moment?


Mike: Yes.


Ada kneels down under the counter and takes out a bag of tea leaves and puts it in a brown paper bag, one which you can carry much like a plastic bag; with a logo on it. The word “Someone” makes up most of the logo. She also packs the remaining sandwich into it and hands it to Mike with both hands, gently holding on to the two ends of the handles.


Ada: Here take this. This will help you remember this place!


Mike: I…


Mike wants to refuse the kind gesture, but with the way Ada phrased it, he couldn’t think of an excuse to refuse it and not be rude. He takes the bag off Ada’s hands.


Mike: Thank you. It was a great pleasure meeting you. I really can’t say this enough.


Mike bows slightly to further display his sincerity. Ada smiles and accepts the gesture.


Ada: It was my pleasure as well. Just one last suggestion though.


Ada looks straight into his eyes, almost as if to give him confidence.


Ada: No matter how things continue at your job, your job is only one of your assets. A great one at that mind you. But don’t live by it. In the end it’s “your” asset, and not the other way around.


Mike nods.


Mike: I’ll remember that.


Ada: Hope to see you again when I open shop.


Ada sees Mike out her shop with a very welcoming and warm smile. MIke smiles in response as he walks out the doors of this bar like cafe.


Mike: I’ll make sure I do. Take care.


Ada: Take care.


Ada goes back into her cafe.


Mike takes a few seconds to remember the cafe. It’s a building that is slightly smaller than your regular cafe. On the door is a sign showing the grand opening date. The storefront, although finished with stone, gives off a pleasant home away from home feel. As if it sends you back to a quieter time, within this bustling city.


Right above the door is the same logo he saw on the bag Ada gave to him. “Someone”.


Mike: I wonder why she picked that name.


Mike walks down the slope which the cafe is situated at the top of. Going down the same steps he worked so hard to get up last evening. Remembering about that Mike looks at the paper bag he is carrying in his left hand. He laughs lightly while he remembers his conversation with Ada this morning, and realizes why Ada chose that name for her cafe.

Mike: Less than a friend, but more than a stranger.


Chapter One: Insomnia                                                                                                                               

Author's Note: 

Please let me know if there are any mistakes, and leave comments on what you think about this piece of writing.

It's been a long time since I've posted any writings on this blog. Though this piece is not as thoroughly thought out, or planned, I feel it might be one of my better pieces. I also like this script like format. Hope you enjoyed it!



1 comment: