Sunday 18 September 2016

Artwork: Moonlit Spear Dance


Drawn By: WrittenDusk 

An artwork based on my most recent story idea. The scene this artwork depicts is a moment where the heroine dances a festival dance, but in a way different from what it was intended to be danced in; expressing a feeling that is similarly different. 

The main reason I decided to draw this specific scene is simply because of the spear dance. The elegance and strength within a weapon dance really inspired me, and felt extremely picturesque.

My other reason is for this drawing to be a direct response to my Street Fighter fanart. Learning from my Street Fighter fanart, I made it a point to really get the feeling I want from the pose and expression. Not leaving it at "ok", or "this looks good enough", but only moving forward after "this is good". 

Another thing I did different was actually diving a little deeper into the program itself. I've been trying to find a better way to line in Manga Studio, something closer to how it works on paper. On computer, unlike with ink and paper, the lines are extremely fine and extremely unforgiving when lining; especially at high resolutions. As a result I went online to find some different brush types. 

I found some pretty neat pencil ones, but they didn't exactly do what I wanted. Looking around a bit more I found a tutorial on how to make a realistic pencil brush. Although that pencil brush didn't do want I wanted either, I learned to access some of the more advanced settings. Using those settings I modified the rough pencil tool to pretty much what I needed. I'm feeling really good about the modifications, but more usage will give me a more definitive conclusion. 

The next thing I am focusing to improve on is my colouring. My colouring has gotten better, but the more I do it the more I begin to realize that it feels stiff. 

But aside from that, it felt so good to finish this drawing. I haven't felt so satisfied in awhile. This is likely due to it's level of completion being among the highest of all my drawings. 

I hope you enjoy this drawing and let me know if you see any mistakes and/or if you have suggestions for improvement. 

(I did cheat on the falling leaves, haha, takes too long. Maybe I'll push myself to detail them next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment