Monday 6 February 2017

Artwork: An Outing


Drawn By: WrittenDusk

My most complete modern themed drawing to date. I used a few references to capture the extra levels of realism, which I'll have listed at the end of this post. To the left is the finished version, while to the right is the same, but without the depth blur added. 

Let me know which one you prefer.

The inspiration for this drawing came from simply wanting to draw this type pose and my desire for a new pair of headphones. Haha. But as simple as this inspiration was, the things I discovered meant much more to me than it would normally.

Because of my discoveries, my feelings for this drawing are those of accomplishment and frustration. This is true while drawing and after drawing. 

My feelings of frustration comes from the background. As you can see in the right version, it's simple and rough. Although it is supposed to be blurred in the end, it still felt lacking and doesn't add much to the overall drawing; like how a good background is supposed to. This made me realize yet again how important backgrounds are, and that I should start envisioning my characters in backgrounds more often. This was not only the result of inexperience, but also a lack of inspiration for backgrounds. 

Honestly I spent more than half the time drawing the background; composing it and trying to find effective ways to cut corners. I couldn't really cut corners in the end.

My feelings of accomplishment comes from the character; especially the hair. Coming from my other recent drawings I felt like I've built up a good skill set for drawing characters; but there is one thing recently, out of many, that I've been specifically wanting to improve. Hair. It's not like I'm bad at them, but ever since my Artwork: Red Haired Girl, I've been wanting to find a way to bridge the feeling you get from drawing strands of hair and drawing sections of hair. Combining the simple appearance of drawing hair sections with the movement and detail of drawing hair strands.
I think I have achieved something close to that in this drawing. By simply adding more lines at both ends, where the hair meets the head and where the hair ends, you can give your hair a sense of motion that carries through it without drawing all the way through. You can also treat it as hatching to create more depth within the hair. The results not only creates more movement in the hair, but also replicates it's softness well.

This makes it all the more frustrating when working on the background. The contrasting levels of experience and inspiration between the two types of drawings can be felt.

Hopefully you enjoyed my drawings and this self-analysis. Below are the references I mentioned above. 

( Note: I'm not exactly sure about the bag I drew. Let me know if it was a good idea. I thought maybe a bigger one would be better, but as a last minute thing it would've be too much work... (^-^'). )

Reference:

From Yesstyle:

From Amazon:









No comments:

Post a Comment