Tuesday 7 May 2019

Artwork: Another Moment's Appreciation


Drawn By: WrittenDusk

While looking through my old drawings, thinking about what to draw next, I came across the drawing I named "A Moment's Appreciation". At first it didn't really catch my eyes, or spark any inspirations, but then I remembered that this was one of the few drawings, if not the only one, that I drew themed after myself. 

As I thought about it some more, I felt like it was the right time to revisit this idea. It was a great opportunity to compare and see the differences between the me, now, and the me, then.

The result is the above drawing. Obviously I'm better now then I was before... right? 

The main references I've used for this drawing will be at the end of this post.

Honestly this isn't much of a direct comparison because the two drawings are of two different styles and interpretations. The older one especially is more stylized when it comes to the colouring. But that's part of the point. 

What I wanted to see most by doing this, beyond wanting a new version of it, is how much better can I interpret this idea now. Back then I ended up with that style of colouring more or less out of experimentation to get better; it turned out nicely and is probably still one of my most interestingly coloured artworks. I want to see, while not experimenting, if I can maybe impress my past self.

Comparing them to each other, I do feel like I have done a good job. I think I have impressed my old self.

On the other hand though, my struggles with detail continues. My obsession with details have been my greatest tool to improving myself, and my greatest obstacle to finishing projects. I spent way too long trying to make sense of the patterning on the shirt in relation to how it folds. I'm glad I made sense of it now, and learned how to deal with it in the future, but I was so frustrated with how long I was stuck there. (Sigh...) I really wonder how long it's going to take for me get good enough to not be phased by these situations.

But overall I enjoyed doing this drawing quite a bit; beyond that little hiccup of course. It's a more mellow drawing, so hopefully you get that feeling from it.

Here are the references:
Shirt: Yesstyle
Headphone: audio-technica ATH-M60x

No comments:

Post a Comment