Wednesday 2 May 2018

Fan Art: Megaman - Charge Shot


Drawn By: WrittenDusk

After deciding to focus more towards composition and atmosphere over detail and accuracy, I felt that a fan art would be a great opportunity to implement this change in mentality. 

While talking with my cousin about what I'll draw next, as I finished my previous drawing, it hit me that a Megaman fan art would be the perfect next project. Not only would it serve as a great transition piece, but it will also let me continue my machine drawing practice.

It's kind of funny how, despite Megaman X being one of my favourite characters as a kid, I never thought of doing a Megaman fan art until now since starting this blog. It seems obvious thinking about it now, but I think the lack of a new Megaman game in recent years really hurt its mind share. 

But with Megaman 11 being announced this year, there's no better time to do a Megaman fan art!

Among the drawings I've done this year so far, I am most pleased with my Chinese New Year drawing and this one. These two matched the images in my mind the closest. Although there are still much to nitpick as usual, what's most important are the feelings the drawings give off; and these two are the best so far.

The change in focus really helped in not only quickening my drawing speed, but also allowing me to visualize the end goal better. This helped me in prioritizing the feeling of the drawing over the minute details within it; setting a clear order of importance in my work flow. As a result I was able to better capture what I had in mind and stop it from wondering as I drew.

Even though I feel like the drawing still lacks a level of impact that better works have, I feel like it's closer now. The change in mind set really helped me focus my train of thought, and cleared up a bit of my stubbornness that hurts me more than it helps.

My next drawing will likely be another Megaman fan art; of Zero from the Megaman Zero series specifically. I'm excited to see if the progress would be similar to this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment