Saturday 20 March 2021

Artwork: Enchanting Spearman

Drawn By: WrittenDusk

This is my first character drawing in a while. Having spent time on other things and reflecting on my skills and approach to drawing, I was able to embrace new options. This is arguably my first serious attempt at cel-shading, especially since developing as an artist in recent years, as well as my first time using Krita.

There was much I had to get use to, but overall I was impressed with the results. I have much to learn with cel-shading, and I look forward to improving.

Krita is a surprisingly well featured software, being free and all, so much so that it is pretty overwhelming at first. But it didn't take long to find my footings. By the time I finished this drawing, I became comfortable enough to start experimenting with the different tools, settings, and filters. The only thing that hold the drawing experience back for me is that the program seems to prefer a more capable computer; things worked as intended, but at times there was lag when drawing lines and long load times for simple functions. This is much more my problem, than the program's, as I am using a weaker computer compared to modern standards.

I have thought of doing cel-shading multiple times, and have been semi cel-shading for awhile now, but I've never truly follow through. This is because with every attempt, I found it difficult to render materials and volume to my liking; and I didn't really know where to start. I felt that instead of spending time on figuring it out, I should be using that time to complete the drawing.

But since I stepped away from drawing for a while, I was able to relax the tension I had for drawing, and reflect on my own skills with a more considered mindset. Thinking about what I may have been doing to hold myself back; as opposed to what I can do better, or what I am not doing, like usual. Trying to re-identify myself, my position, and my situation.

With my current skills and habits, I felt that my drawing skills were still well above my colouring; but they aren't bad enough to hold back my drawings anymore. So from there I realized that my current style of colouring itself was a problem. It didn't support the lines in my drawings well. I had an inkling every so often where, as I coloured, I felt my lines losing impact and importance. They will later blend in with the rest of the drawing and appear natural. But this way of colouring is that of a painter, where lines are more for guidance, while for what I like to draw, lines are equally important. As such, I've begun to embrace my shortcomings and merits and work with them.

Cel-shading was the obvious direction to move towards for me. Although there are a lot of adapting and learning to be done, the results show. Currently my main focuses are to learn to effectively take advantage of my lines, and use colours to render materials.

Background are going to be another can of worms..., but as usual its one step at a time; maybe two if things go well, haha.

Hope you enjoyed my drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment