Thursday 30 June 2022

Artwork: Otherworld Outing

 

Drawn By: WrittenDusk

A casual outing in another world. Well I guess, a parallel world, may be more accurate?
 
It started out as an usual modern setting, but I felt like shaking things up just a bit. If I were to point to something I'm really proud of this time, it'd have to be the drink. It was quite the brain teaser to figure out how to deal with multiple transparencies and their interactions.
 
I can't speak about accuracy, but it's convincing; and that is what matters most.

Having jumped between personal projects, starting and then failing them, I've learnt a lot about the importance of efficiency and effectiveness. Frequently asking myself: What are the importance of each aspect of the project? How much effort is required to deliver each aspect? How effective is your effort in that specific aspect? How efficient is your method of delivery?
 
When taking on a project of a certain scale and complexity, these questions become integral. It's easy to chalk this way of thinking as "corporate", weighing time with money, and dismissing it without considering it's relevance within another metric; weighing time with passion/motivation. We only have so much passion and motivation within one stretch of time. Once it runs out its difficult to rekindle, and more often then not it simply burns out; leaving the project in ashes. (**In the right situations, these ashes can invaluable!**)
 
Experiencing this time and time again I've come to appreciate the essence of this measured approach. Through it I've realized that I've been getting in my own way, a lot. Tripping over myself while staring at my feet, instead of looking forward to find my way.

While working on this drawing, carrying this new mindset, my improvements are noticeable. Things felt like they moved quicker and finished with a high level of completion; even though I procrastinated a lot. I didn't think much of it at first, just taking my improvements as they are, but my curiosity about the change made me think. What did this mindset let me to do that I didn't prior? The answer was quite the revelation.

I became more patient with myself.

The fact that getting angry at myself is inefficient, oddly allows me to move on and get things done; I spent less time beating myself up, more time solving the problem at hand. A roundabout way to do this, yes, but it is so far the most effective yet.

This revelation really resonated with me, and hopefully with other too. Hope you enjoyed the art!


No comments:

Post a Comment