Friday 17 August 2018

Fan Art: Fire Emblem Heroes - Pirate Anna


Drawn By: WrittenDusk

Seeing as how IS (Intelligent Systems) has yet to release an Anna variant in Fire Emblem Heroes, I decided to draw one myself. With the recent summer events within the game, something water related felt the most appropriate; and in Anna's case I couldn't think of anything better than a pirate.

This time I decided to lighten up on my colouring, aiming for a cleaner and quicker style. There is a noticeable difference visually, so I consider that a success on the "cleaner" front, but I failed spectacularly on the "quicker" end. I started this in July and was planning to post this by the end of the month, but as you can see that didn't happen.

Something needs to be done.

I am really disappointed in myself this time. There was definitely enough time to finish this drawing in time, but I let procrastination and distractions get the better of me. I was also overconfident in my new drawing process, thinking that I could do more in less time now, letting myself use my time irresponsibly. It's really frustrating how you clearly know what you're doing wrong, but you still do it anyways and then regret afterwards.

I need to do something if I want to change.

The first solution I thought of, and most likely the most effective one, is to start seriously scheduling myself. Giving each thing it's own time, so that they don't interfere with each other. It sounds obvious and simple, but it's very dependent on one's discipline and the cooperation of those around you; both of which I am lacking. So for the time being I think I'll slowly work scheduling into my habits and improve my discipline.

Personal issues aside, I also have some second thoughts on this drawing. Not so much technically, but conceptually. While planning this drawing I initially wanted to do something more playful and energetic; to fit in the summer vibes and all. But as I was doing more research, figuring out the outfit, I decided to do something more believable instead. It felt like a waste to have Anna "play" as a pirate when she can "be" a pirate. But looking at the drawing now, it feels a little too restrained. It makes me wonder if I took "being a pirate" too seriously for the drawing.

I think this feeling of restraint is also the results of my lack of confidence in my skills. I am still afraid of over expressing myself in my drawings; even though I know my skills could handle it better now.

Drawing more is really the best solution for this. Drawing more poses, more motions, angles, perspectives. Looser, more freely.

There was a video I watched just recently by Proko, on Youtube, where he asks pros for advice for students. The above solution is thanks to this video. For me it was less about discovering the advice, but rather the affirmation of the advice. Just hearing the pros point out the errors you already knew about cements it somehow. It makes it feel like the efforts that you'll need to put into it is more worth while. I guess it's something like the path that's been tread.

For those that would find it helpful as well, here is the link to the video. I'm sure his other videos would help greatly as well. I'll link Sinix Design's channel as well. He has some really great videos for reference and learning.

Proko's Video:
Drawing Advice for Students - Asking Pros 

Sinix Design:
Channel Page

Hope you enjoyed my drawing, and maybe even found my self reflection helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment