Tuesday 18 September 2018

Fan Art: Fire Emblem Heroes - Hoshidan Xander Autumn


Drawn By: WrittenDusk

Ever since Xander's first appearance in Fire Emblem Heroes, I haven't really liked his art. It didn't really bother me like with Lyn though because I'm not very familiar with, or attached to, the character. But his Hoshidan Summer variant caught my attention. I really like how he looks in that outfit. I was surprised at how well the artist designed his yukata based on his original design elements.

The image of the above artwork was pretty much the first thing that popped into my head when I was thinking about what to draw next. A poetic image of a man enjoying a drink under the autumn sunset. It was too good to pass up. Also with it being seasonally appropriate, with the mid-autumn festival coming up, I really had no reason to draw something else.

I am quite satisfied with how the drawing turned out this time, both in terms of quality and speed. At first I didn't really understand why myself, but it was pretty obvious as I thought about it. It was because of patience. Patience towards myself.

Last time, because I felt like I couldn't do what I should've been able to do, I lost patience with myself and fell into a bad loop. I continued to bang my head against the problem and fell short again and again. Each failed attempt made me more impatient and in turn made me make more attempts that further my impatience. This continues until my effort becomes procrastination; whether its in the form of aimless effort, or clear avoidance.   

This time I decided to not think too much about what things could be, or should be. I tried to not obsess over what things aren't, and look at what things are and how they could be better instead. Giving myself time to consider more sensible approaches to problems, with my own skill level in mind. It's a surprisingly fine "fine line" that separates these two very similar mentalities; patience being that said line.

The main example within this drawing for this lesson of patience is the maple tree. Being a complete novice in drawing plants I've been trying to improve, but I couldn't figure out how. Drawing each leaf is not sensible at the scale I am drawing it at, and painting the overall leaf cluster shapes, like how I've always done it, lacks the level of definition I wanted. Because of this I went through multiple revisions where I felt each was good enough, only to completely scrape it after being part way done. By not being afraid to restart to give myself the chance and time to reconsider, learn and readjust expectations, I got closer with each attempt. 

In all honesty, I'm expecting to become impatient with myself again in the near future. This is just that kind of problem. Kind of like a cold. But I should have an easier time dealing with it now... hopefully.

Anyways hope you liked my drawing and maybe even find my shameless self-reflection helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment